Ragi chakli is a popular snack in Southern part of Karnataka. Chakli/murukku is an addictive kids and adult favoriy=te snack. This anck can be prepared with many different ways and ingredients. Here we have the recipe with Finger millet flour.
- 1 cup raagi flour finger millet flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup Besan flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry red chilli powder
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- pinch hing
- 6 tbs of oil for mixing the dough
- approximately 1 cup Water for mixing the dough
- more oil for frying
- Chakli Press
Ragi Chakli | Ragi Murukku
- First add all the dry ingredients to a big bowl.
- Heat the 6 tbs of oil and add it to dry ingredients mixture.
- Mix the oil uniformly with the dry ingredients mixture.
- Divide the mix into 2 parts.
- Take one portion of it and add water to mix it into a dough. We don't mix all the mixture with water because it takes time to make chakli, and if the dough marinates in water, it uses excess oil when frying. To avoid this, we mix the dough little by little.
- In the meantime keep the oil heat for frying chakli.
To make Chakli:
- Heat the oil on a medium high heat for frying.
- Grease the chakli press with a little oil.
- Take a small portion of the dough and place it in the chakli press. Press it and make it into a small round shape.
- Put the chakli in the heated oil for frying. You can see bubbling when you add it to the oil.
- After a few minutes, flip these chaklis.
- Wait till it fries completely, which is when it has stopped bubbling. When you take it out, you should be able to feel the hardness.
- Place it on a colander with a small paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough. Store the fried chaklis in an airtight container.