Nippattu is a very spicy, crunchy and tasty snack. There are many variations of Nippatu recipes from family to family. This nippattu recipe is from my mother, and every time I prepare this crunchy cracker following my Mom's steps, it turns out excellent.
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour Maida
- 1 tbsp Fine cream of wheat rava / sooji
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida hing
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 2 tbsp Fried gram dal/hurigadale/pottu kadalai
- ¾ salt
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp water water
- oil to fry. (preferably Sun flower oilbut can substitute with olive oil)
Nippattu - A spicy and crunchy snack
- Coarse grind the peanuts and Roasted gram dal(hurigadale).
- Note: If you're allergic to peanuts, you can substitute with almonds.
- Prepare the mixture of rice flour, all purpose flour (Maida), chilli powder, cream of wheat (Rava), Asafoetida (hing), salt and the above peanut mix . Mix it really well.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and add it to the above mixture of flour and nuts. Keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then, add water little by little to make it a medium density dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 or 24 pieces to make the Nippatu, the spicy crackers.
- Pour the oil to the frying pan. Heat the oil on a medium heat.
- Take the dough, make it into a small ball, then press it onto your palm to make a circle or. If not, you can also roll it on parchment paper (make sure you have greased the parchment paper first).
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by adding a little dough to the oil, the dough has to come up immediately), add the flattened dough (Nippatu), one by one.
- Fry it until it turns golden brown color on both sides.
- Spicy, Crunchy Nippatu or cracker is ready.
Makes 12 big sized crackers or 24 smaller Nippattu (crunchy cracker)