Maddur Vada is a very popular snack which is very unique to the state of Karnataka. This has the right amount of crispiness to make this snack an all time favorite. The name comes from the the town Maddur, which is located between the cities of Mysore and Bangalore. Super delicious evening snack with hot cup of coffee or tea/chai.
Servings 25 maddur vade
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 to 25 minutes
- Mix rice flour, rava and maida in a big bowl.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil and pour it onto the mix with spoon first and then with your hand. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add all other ingredients (EXCEPT WATER), and mix thoroughly with hand.
To make Madduru vade:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Divide the mix into 2 parts (since onion has a tendency to leave the water,we are dividing the mix and making dough 2 times)
- Mix one part by adding water little by little.(around 5 tbsp of water)
- Take a lemon sized ball of dough and make it into a small ball. Then, press it onto your palm to make a circle about ¼ cm thick.
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by adding a little dough to the oil, it has to come up immediately), add this prepared vada to it. Make 3 to 4 vade, one by one and add it to the oil.
- Deep fry it until both sides turn a light golden brown color. It usually takes 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove it from the oil and place it onto a paper towel to drain extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough and the mix.
- Enjoy the Maddur vada with Coconut Chutney. Perfect snack for winter, with a cup of Coffee or Tea.
- If there is a left over oil after preparing Maddur Vade, try out our another authentic snack, Nippatu!
Coconut chutney recipe: CLICK HERE