Almost 12 years ago my friend Vidya gave me a ziplock full of congress kadlebija. It tasted exactly same as the roadside churumuri vendor. I thought it should be from India. But to my surprise no! she prepared the masala peanuts at home. I took the recipe I made it few times and then I stopped making it because of my son’s peanut allergy. During the summer vacation I visited India and I brought some congress kadale bija and I stored it in the freezer. During the thanks giving break, we were making churumuri and I opened this packet, it is like orange color which is supposed to be more of yellow color(turmeric powder). It was looking like artificial color has been added to that which is not at all good for our health. Immediately I called Vidya again and got the recipe and prepared it again and again. Believe me this congress kadlakai is so addictive you will never stop eating it :)
I was always wondering how did this snack got the name congress? This is the story I heard from my father – during the congress emergency (70’s), for the meets it was the favorite snack. That is how name was associated with congress. If you have a different story about how masale Kadale kayi got its name congress, please do share it with us .
- 2 cups raw peanuts or roasted and halved
- 3 to 4 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing (optional) 2 big pinches if you are using other variety
- 25 to 30 curry leaves
- more than 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder you can use mortar and pestle to crush the pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- We are making for 2 cups of peanuts, keep it ready.
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium low heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once it is cooled completely the skin can be removed easily. Place this on a clean towel.
- fold it like this and pound gently as shown.
- Then rub it , it will help to split in half. Separate the skin and keep it ready.
- Heat the oil on low flame, fry the curry leaves until it becomes crisp. Careful when you add it to the hot oil.
- Then add hing , roasted peanuts, turmeric powder, salt , chilli powder and pepper powder. Mix it and continue to mix and let it be on low heat for a minute and then turn off the heat. Allow it to cool.
- Once it is cool enough we have to mix with hand to crush the curry leaves.
- Mix it with your hand like this.
- You have wait until the peanuts cools down completely before you store it (half of them is finished before storing in our home and never got the chance to store it :) )