Chakli Recipe | Murukku Recipe
Chakli / Murukku is very traditional, kids favorite, yummy snack, which we offer to Lord Ganesha and favorite “Bombe Bagina” during the navarathri festival.
- ½ cup urad dal / Black Gram dal
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp jeera cumin seeds
- 3 TBSP oil/ghee
- ¼ tsp Hing/asafoetida
- 1½ to 2 cups of water
- more oil for frying
- Chakli Press
[the_ad id="4800"]Chakli / Murukku Recipe
- First wash the Urad dal and pressure cook with 1 cup of water (4 to 5 whistles)
- Once it is cooled, transfer to a big bowl and mix salt, jeera, rice flour and hing. Mix well.
- Now heat 3 tbsp oil and pour it on the mix.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix it to make a soft dough.
- Heat the oil in the pan to fry, on the medium low heat.
- Using the chakli press, make around 8 chaklis, and keep them ready to fry.
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by putting a little dough into the oil, it has to come up immediately), add the prepared chaklis
- Fry them until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Flip the chaklis once in between.
- Once they turn golden brown on both sides (it usually takes 8 minutes), take them out and transfer them onto a paper towel to drain extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.
- Once the chaklis have cooled completely, store it in an airtight container.
- Enjoy this yummy chakali or murukku crunchy snack with tea, coffee, or on its own! Just to add a twist, try with Mexican Spicy Salsa (tastes really good).