Whenever we went to my friend Bharati’s house, dinner used to always be something special. One of our favorite dishes there was this garlic thambuli, my usually picky daughter used to gobble up this garlic-yogurt dip – I’d never seen her eat so much of anything before! I saw that Gowri loved it, so I knew I had to learn the recipe for garlic thambuli! It has definitely become one of our household favorites. In fact, we all relished it just today with some awesome bisibelebath!
- First peel the garlic and cut into 2 pieces.
- Heat the ghee in the pan on medium heat. Add the garlic cloves, coriander seeds and chilli. Fry it for a minute. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Take the yogurt/curd in a bowl, and whisk it. Then add salt and mix it.
- Once the roasted garlic mix cools down, crush this using mortar and pestle.
- Now add the whisked yogurt to this paste.
- Mix it really well.
- Now the healthy, finger-licking garlic yogurt is ready. This can be used as raita, as a dip to tortilla chips and as a side dish to mixed rice.
A good mortar & pestle is an important part of every kitchen. You can find an excellent one here - unpolished granite mortar and pestle.