Received this great recipe from my Mother, who makes excellent Rasam, Sambhar and Vangibath powder . Vangi meaning brinjal /eggplant, in kannada badanekAyi . Preparing masala rice using this vangi is vangibath. The powder we prepare can be used to make varieties of rice dishes.
Ingredients for Vangi bath powder:
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1½ cups coriander seeds/dhania
- ½ cup channa dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- 8 to 10 inch cinnamon stick
- 5 to 6 cloves
- 25 red chillies (smooth skin variety which is gives hotness -also called guntur red chilli)
- 55 to 60 byadgi red chillies (wrinkled skin variety which gives good color) If byadgi chillies are not available, use around 50 of the other variety.
Method for making Vangibath powder:
- Heat the oil in the pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add channa dal and urad dal.
- Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add cinnamon, cloves, and red chillies. Roast it until the chilies becomes warm.
- Finally add coriander seeds,mix well. Fry for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Then grind it to a fine powder.
- Vangibath powder is now ready. You can store it and use it to make varieties of rice dishes.