Kayi Holige |Coconut Holige Recipe, how to make poli recipes
Holige/poLi /obbattu/Bobbattu can be prepared using varieties of stuffings like dals, dates, peanuts and so on... Holige is one of my favorite sweets. This one is using freshly grated coconut and jaggery.
- For the Dough:
- 1 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 2 TBSP fine/chiroti rava or wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup water We may not use all of it, water quantity depends on the flour
- 2 to 3 TBSP oil for making the dough
- To prepare the Stuffing:
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 2 cup firmly packed grated fresh/frozen coconut
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 to 3 TBSP water to clean the jaggery
- To Prepare the Holige
- Greased Plantain leaves if available! OR
- 2 Greased Plastic sheets OR
- 2 greased parchment paper
- Some extra flour To roll or
- oil to flatten the Holige
[the_ad id="4800"]Coconut Holige Recipe, how to make poli recipes
- MIx maida, sooji/rava//wheat flour and turmeric powder in a bowl .
- Add 1/4 cup of water and mix it. Then add another 1/4 cup of water and mix it. From this stage, use water little by little to get the right dough consistency. (I used 1.5 TBSP water)
- Now add around 3 teaspoon of oil and knead the dough for 2 to 3 minutes. This step is very important.
- After kneading, add 1/2 tbsp oil, gather the dough to the center and pour another TBSP oil on top. Cover it and keep it for 3 hours.
To Prepare the Stuffing:
- Grind the coconut to get the fine consistency which helps us make thin Holige.
- Melt the jaggery in a pan with 3 TBSP water on medium heat. Strain it through a clean cloth.
- Boil this clean syrup in a kadai on medium low heat and let it boil. This syrup should reach a thread-like consistency. To test, take some syrup in a spoon, touch it with your index finger, and gently press your finger against your thumb. When you separate your fingers, it should be like a thread. You can also check by adding a drop of syrup into a bowl of water. The syrup should not dissolve.
- Once the syrup reaches this consistency, add the grind coconut. Mix it well. Let it cook until the water content from the coconut and the syrup just evaporates. Turn off the stove and add cardamom powder, mix it and allow it to cool.
To Make the Obbattu/Holige
- Knead the dough for a second
- Once the filling has cooled down completely, make lemon size balls. With our measurements, we can make around 12 to 14
- Now grease the left hand fingers, and take small amount of dough. Spread this out on the greased fingers to make it flat.
- Put one of the filling balls in the center, cover it with the dough. Squeeze out any extra dough.
- Put this on greased plastic sheet, flatten it with your palm or with rolling pin. Or you can dip the prepared dough-stuffing ball in the flour and roll it like rotis.
- Grease the skillet (preferably an iron one) and keep it on medium low heat.
- Now put this rolled holige on the skillet. Wait for 1 to 2 minutes. Then flip it to the other side. Let it cook on the other side too.
- After a minute or so , it will be done. Remove it from the skillet and Enjoy the hot hoLige with Ghee!
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining sweet fillings.
- If the stuffing is too hard after it cools down, add little water and put it back on stove for few minutes.
- If it is the other way add a spoon or 2 rice flour mix it to get the right consistency.