Method for making Idli batter:
- Wash and soak urad dal in 1½ cups of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Wash and soak rice and avalakki in a different vessel for 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind the urad dal along with the soaked water into a fine paste.
- If you are using idli rava, add it to the urad dal paste and mix well in a big container.
- Then add the soaked avalakki and rice (if not using idli rava) after draining the water. Grind it to a coarse consistency.
- If you are using curd, add it now. Batter should not be too watery.
- Now transfer the batter to a big vessel and add salt. Mix well.
- Cover it with the lid and let it ferment overnight. To do so, warm the oven for a minute (don’t forget to turn off) and keep this in the oven.
How to make idlis:
- Grease the idli plates with oil or ghee. Beat the fermented batter with the ladle and pour it on the greased idli plates.
- Place the prepared idli stand in the cooker and steam cook this for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 2 to 3 minutes, and then take the idlis out.
- Enjoy the hot mallige idlis with sambar or chutney!