Pearl onion gojju recipe | Sambar onion gojju recipe | onion gojju recipe | erulli recipe |
Very tasty onion gojju, a side dish goes well with rotti, chapathi, Jolada rotti and even with rice. Onion gojju is spicy, tangy and healthy. I am sure onions are the only vegetables which can be found in almost everyone’s pantry, so try this today and I am sure you will love it. I am using the small shallots/ sambar onion/pearl onion in this recipe, but we can do the same recipe using regular onion as well.
This is a gluten free , vegan side dish recipe.
For other gojju recipes like bitter gourd gojju, cucumber gojju, puliyogare gojju and more gojju recipes CLICK HERE
STeel pan – BUY HERE
Tadka/seasoning pan – BUY HERE
Pearl Onion Gojju | Sambar Onion Curry
- 1 1/4 to 1.5 cup of small sambar/pearl onion clean it and keep it ready
- 3 tsp oil
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Also we need:
- small keylime size tamarind wash and soak in water
- 1 cup water
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- leaves Chopped corianderto garnish
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp uddina bele/urad dal
- 1 tsp kadle bele/ chana dal
- 1/4 tsp menthya/methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 to 5 red chillies more or less
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut more or less
- Peel and wash the onions and keep it ready
- Heat the oil in a small pan on medium low, while stirring add the following ingredients- Dals,menthya, jeera, coriander seeds,sesame seeds,red chillies, Fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add coconut , mix it and turn off the heat. Allow it to cool
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add onions, and sprinkle some salt.
- Fry it until the onions are cooked well
- Grind the masala along with tamarind and water to a fine paste
- Once the onions are fried and cooked well add the masala, enough water,(3/4 to 1 cup) mix it well
- If needed add more water
- Add curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery, mix it well and let it cook on medium low heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Make sure to stir in between
- After 6 to 8 minutes - gojju is ready. Add chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat.
- Serve the gojju with rice, rotti, chapathi, idli as well.