Tomato Onion Chutney | Easy chutney recipes | Restaurant style chutney
Tomato Onion chutney is quick and easy to make, yet it’s a delicious side dish for Idlis, Dosas, rotis, and much more. With just a few ingredients you, will have this finger licking chutney ready in minutes.
You can try this idli chutney. Horsegram chutney, chutney for adai
Tomato Onion Chutney
For detailed instructions for making the Tomato onion Chutney watch the video.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 pieces small onion cut into(if you want add garlic too)
- Few curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 byadagi red chillies may substitute with any other red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- little jaggery or little tamarind depending on sourness of tomato
- 3 tsp oil to fry tomato and also for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal
- Little bit of chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- Heat around 1½ tsp of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add jeera, then add red chillies. Once the the chillies are warm enough, take it out and keep it aside.
- Then add cut onions and sprinkle some salt. ( The salt helps cook the onion faster)
- Once the onions become translucent, add tomatoes.
- Add curry leaves, tamarind or jaggery, and turmeric powder.
- Mix and let the tomatoes cook well.
- After around ten minutes, or once the tomatoes are cooked well, turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once it is cooled completely, grind this along with chillies and salt to a fine paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat the remaining oil in a ladle.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Fry it until dal turns golden brown.
- Add this seasoning to the chutney and it is ready to serve!