Tomato Onion chutney is quick and easy to make, yet it’s a delicious side dish for Idlis, Dosas, rotis, and much more. With just a few ingredients you, will have this finger licking chutney ready in minutes.
- Heat around 1½ tsp of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add jeera, then add red chillies. Once the the chillies are warm enough, take it out and keep it aside.
- Then add cut onions and sprinkle some salt. ( The salt helps cook the onion faster)
- Once the onions become translucent, add tomatoes.
- Add curry leaves, tamarind or jaggery, and turmeric powder.
- Mix and let the tomatoes cook well.
- After around ten minutes, or once the tomatoes are cooked well, turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once it is cooled completely, grind this along with chillies and salt to a fine paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat the remaining oil in a ladle.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Fry it until dal turns golden brown.
- Add this seasoning to the chutney and it is ready to serve!