Ragi rotti is one of my favorite breakfast. On Ekadashi day, I eat Ragi Rotti, so that, it keeps me full for a very long time. Good way of fasting on Ekadashi day :). Ragi Rotti extremely popular breakfast in Karnataka.
Health benefits of Ragi:
Ragi is rich in calcium, iron and fiber. It also contains phytochemicals, which aids in slowing down the digestion process. Ragi’s high levels of niacin help in increasing HDL cholesterol while lowering Triglycerides.
For a detailed health and nutritional benefits about Ragi please visit,
- Finger millet (Ragi), a review of its nutritional properties at National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Finger Millet (Raagi) Polyphenols from Science Alert
Ingredients for Gluten Free Ragi Rotti:
- 1 cup Ragi flour
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup shredded cucumber
- ¾ TSP salt
- ½ cup finely chopped cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ shredded coconut
- around ½ cup water
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 finely chopped green chillis
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
Additionally for making Raagi roti:
- Oil for making rotti
- Iron tava/Skillet
How to make Ragi Rotti:
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (except oil) and mix.
- Now slowly add water and mix the ingredients until you get a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal parts.
- First, add a spoon of oil on the skillet and spread it around.
- Place the dough in the center and press it gently to make a thin circle. If the dough is sticking to the hand, wet the hand and then press.
- Now make the hole in the center and few more around. Pour the oil in the hole and around the edges too.
- Cover this rotti with a lid and place the skillet on the stove on a medium high heat. Once it becomes golden brown take out the rotti (usually takes 3 to 4 minutes).
- To make another rotti, there are three options:
- Run the skillet under cold water to cool, and repeat the above procedure.
- Use plantain leaves to make the rotti and transfer onto the hot tava.
- Use parchment paper to make rotti. Remember to grease the paper before you prepare the rotti.
- Enjoy the ragi rotti with chutney, butter, or chutney powder.