Rice Nippattu or Thatti is one of the easiest and tastiest snacks on earth. With only rice flour it is the best gluten free snack(skip asafetida for gluten free option).This is best and healthy alternative snack for the people with Wheat Allergies. The traditional Nippattu calls for the wheat flour and All-purpose flour. Best as travel snack and for festivals like deepavali, Krishnashtami and more.. Enjoy as evening snack with cup of coffee or tea or along with bisibelebath or any other rice dishes,.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder OR
- 2 to 3 finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp Ajwain seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup of water
- Greased banana leaf or greased plastic sheet.
- Pinch of hing/asafetida
- oil to fry.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a ladle and add this hot oil to the rice flour. Mix it with a spoon.
- Then add sesame seeds, cumin seeds, hing, salt, chillies, ajwain seeds and curry leaves. Mix it thoroughly before adding the water.
- To this dry mix add water little by little, mix it . Add water until you get the soft dough.(don’t add all water at once)
- Knead the dough.
- Heat enough oil to fry the thatti in a wok on medium heat.
- Take a tbsp or 2 tbsp dough, make a ball, place it on the greased sheet. Press it using your palm or fingers to make it thin flat circle.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add these prepared thatti / rice cracker and fry both sides until it turns golden brown.
- Once it turns golden brown remove it from the oil using a perforated ladle and transfer it onto a paper towel or colander.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.