Jolada chakli or jowar flour chakli is chakli using Jolada hittu or sorghum flour . This is the vegan gluten free, instant chakli recipe. Very easy to make and delicious.
Chakli is a very popular evergreen snack of South India.
- 1.5 cup joLada hittu / jowar flour / sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup hurigadale hittu / fried gram / roasted chana
- powder the hurigadale/putani and keep it ready
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafetida(if you are looking for gluten free hing you can buy this from amazon.com
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp jeera cumin seeds
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- around 1 cup water use only as needed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter or ghee or 1.5 tbsp any oil
- oil to fry.
Also we need :
- Combine jowar flour, hurigadale hittu, salt, cumin seeds, chilli powder, hing and sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Now add oil, mix it well before adding water.
- now add water little by little to make the chakli dough, it has be soft dough. (i used around 3/4 cup water. )
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat
- Assemble press with chakli disc, grease the press, place the dough in the press and close it.
- once oil is hot enough (to check add little dough into the oil and it has to come up as shown) Now directly press the chakli (like benne murukku) into the hot oil.
- after a minute mix it gently and if or once the chakli is little hard flip it to the other side.
- once all the bubbles subsides and it turns light golden brown , remove it using the perforated ladle on to a paper towel
- repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough
- once cooled completely store it in a airtight container and enjoy this with a hot cup of tea/ coffee