Ennegayi | Stuffed Eggplants | Badanekayi Ennegayi | Stuffed brinjal
Ennegayi is one of the super delicious side dish which is in combination with Jolada Rotti. Badanekai ennegayi is mouth watering side dish, Very easy to make and healthy too. Eggplant is a low calorie, low fat vegetable which is rich in soluble fiber and vitamin B complex groups like B1, B3, and B4. This helps in reducing inflammation and high blood pressure. Here is the tasty, simple and delicious side dish for chapathi, jolada rotti etc..
- 7-8 small size Eggplants (Cut the eggplants from the bottom tip into a plus mark till the stalk where it opens like a flower and keep the stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp Rasam Powder (or you can also use ½ tsp cumin seeds 2 tbsp coriander seeds, and 8-10 dry byadagi red chillies, roast these and make a powder)
- 1 tbsp of thick tamarind extract
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 10-12 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2-3 tbs oil to shallow fry eggplants
- ½ cup peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp or a pinch of Hing
[the_ad id="4800"]Enne Badane Kaayi / Stuffed Eggplants | Ennegayi |
- First dry roast the peanuts and sesame seeds and let it cool.
- Powder the dry roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, along with coconut.
- Then add thick tamarind paste, rasam powder, and salt and grind it with a very little water to make a thick paste.
- Fill this mixture inside the eggplant and press it to hold it together
- Now add a cup of water for the remaining mixture and mix it. Keep it aside.
For making the ennebadanekaayi:
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, hing, and curry leaves.
- Now put the stuffed eggplants to this.
- Reduce the heat, close the lid, and let it cook for one or two minutes
- Turn the eggplants to cook on other side.
- Once all the eggplants are cooked, add the remaining mixture to this pan and allow it to cook on a low heat for some more time.
- Once the oil floats on the top and the gravy becomes a little bit thick it is ready - turn off the heat.
- Enjoy Enne Badanekaayi with akki rotti, jolada rotti, chapaties and also with hot rice.