Meals without pickle/uppina kaayi is something I cannot imagine. Mosaranna/curd rice with lemon Pickle / nimbehannina uppinakayi is just out of this world! Nowadays we have so many option, buying from stores, buy from someone who makes at home or you can prepare at home. I always choose the last option, make at home :) For the reason that, I know I am preparing for me,and for my family, so I prepare with love, with known clean ingredients!
Pickles are very easy to make at home. Here is the recipe to Lemon Pickle!
- Wash and dry the lemons
- Cut into desired size as shown.
- Cut 12 lemons, transfer the cut lemons to a glass jar or porcelain dish, Cut remaining three lemons and squeeze the juice. Add salt,
- Add turmeric powder, mix it and cover it. Keep it aside for 2 to 3 days mixing everyday with a dry spoon.
- Heat the pan on medium heat. Dry roast the methi seeds until the seeds turn golden brown.
- Grind it to a fine powder
- Now add this to the lemons, mix it.
- Add chilli powder and mix it well.
- Now mix it well and pickle is ready. It has long shelf life. Just keep it in a dry glass jar.
- When ever you want to eat pickle, take few spoons(required amount) of the pickle in a bowl
- Heat the oil in a ladle, once oil is hot add hing, mustard seeds and once the mustard seeds pops turn off the heat and add this to the pickle. Add water to get the pickle to right consistency, mix it well. Pickle is ready to relish :)
Make sure to buy fresh lemons/limes.
Don't add seasoning and water to all prepared pickle.
More days you keep the pickle it will taste better
Always remember to use dry utensils while making and handling with pickles.