Rice kheer or Akki payasa also known as Pal Payasa is very popular and favorite Indian dessert made with rice, whole milk and touch of saffron. Creamy rich payasam can be served hot or chilled . You can use any raw rice for this recipe. I used sona masoori rice here, you can Basmathi rice as well.
- 5 cup whole milk
- 4 to 6 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tsp ghee
- 1 to 2 tbsp raisins
- 8 to 10 cashews broken pieces
- Pinch of saffron soak in milk
Rice Kheer Recipe | Rice Pudding
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes
- Heat the milk in a big sauce pan on medium heat.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice to the milk.
- If you are using long grain rice like basmati, just crush the rice using you your finger and add.
- Boil the milk and rice on medium heat, don’t forget to stir the kheer once in at least every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked(may take around 20 to 25 minutes) add sugar, and saffron.
- Let it cook again for another 20 to 25 minutes on medium low heat Then turn off the heat.
To fry the cashews and raisins
- Heat the ghee in a ladle, once the ghee is hot enough add cashews , fry it for few seconds .
- Then add raisins and once the raisins puffs up turn off the heat and add this to the Payasa.
- Serve this thick creamy Rice Kheer hot or chilled.