Hayagreeva, Sweet with channa dal and Jaggery
Hayagriva is a very popular sweet in karnataka. It is extremely easy to make and very delicious.
- 1 cup channa dal
- 1 cup powdered jaggery
- 11/2 tbsp gasagase poppy seeds
- ½ cup shredded dry coconut if you don’t have dried coconut use the fresh one
- MInimum 2 to 3 tbsp ghee
- 10 to 15 almonds cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cashew pieces
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 3 to 4 cardamoms crushed into powder
- 2 cups of water to cook the channa dal
[the_ad id="4800"]Hayagreeva, Sweet with channa dal and Jaggery
- Wash and pressure cook the channa dal with 2 cups of water on medium heat (4 to 5 whistles).
- Once the dal is cooked, strain the water and mash the dal using a spoon. It is crucial that the dal is cooked very well.
- Dry roast the poppy seeds and keep it aside.
- Fry the raisins, almonds, and cashews separately using a little bit of ghee, and keep it aside.
- Clean the jaggery by boiling it with 2 to 3 TBSP of water and straining it with a clean cloth. If the jaggery is clean you can skip this step.
- Transfer the clean jaggery to the same pan. Let it boil on medium heat.
- Add shredded coconut, a tablespoon of ghee, and add the mashed dal.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes, then add the remaining ghee and allow it to boil for few more minutes.
- Remember to mix in between to avoid burning.
- Finally, add roasted poppy seeds and mix well. When the hayagreeva reaches a moderately thick consistency (it should not be too thick) turn off the heat and add cardamom powder, fried nuts and raisins.
- Now the Hayagreeva is ready to eat.
- Hot hayagriva with a little bit of ghee on top is just super