Dosa / Dosey is one of the favoriete breakfasts in South Indian Kitchen. We can make varieties of dosas using different ingredients, vegetables and even fruits.
Tomato Dosa is one of the varieties of dosas we prepare at home with little spice and bursting flavor of tomato, It is simple, no fermentation required and delicious vegan, gluten free breakfast you should try.
Serve hot with dal chutney or coconut chutney
- ½ cup rice
- 1 tbsp split bengal gram / Chana dal
- 1 tbsp split black gram/urad dal
- 1 tbsp togari bele/ toor dal
- or 2 tbsp split bengal gram/ Chana dal + 1 tbsp split black gram/urad dal
- 2 tbsp togari bele/ toor dal + 1split black gram/urad dal
- ½ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- around 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- around 1 cup water
- mix all the dals, rice and methi seeds, wash it thoroughly and soak it in 3/4 cup of water for 3 to 4 hours
- Add water if needed (use the soaked water) if it needs more water add the tomato and grind it.
- transfer some of the water to a cup, transfer the soaked ingredients to a mixer jar, to this add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, green or red chillies and ginger. Grind it to a fine paste.
- To this add cut tomatoes, add salt, and grind it again to a fine paste.
- Transfer the dosa batter to a pan, mix it well, add enough water(if required to get this dosa batter consistency. Cover it and keep it aside for 30 minutes to an hour
- grease and heat the pan on medium heat. once the tava is hot take a ladle full of batter, pour it in the center, and move the ladle in a circular motion to make it a circle. ( you can make thin or little thick dosa)
- Put some oil (generously for crunchy dosa) on and around the edges of the dosa, cover it and cook it for a minute or so
- after a minute, remove the lid, look for light brown color , this dosa is ready, remove it from the tava and serve hot with chutney
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter, you can rub half cut onion on the tava before you make the next dosa or use a paper towel to wipe extra oil.