Oats khichdi / Steel cut oats recipe | Oats Pongal with vegetables / oats pongal recipe
Pongal / khichdi is one of the healthiest foods. Perfect blend of carbohydrates. Proteins, and all important nutrients. Usually the pongal is prepared with rice and moong dal, in this recipe I prepared the dish with Steel Cut Oats and moong dal along with vegetables;es such as beans, carrots, peas, capsicum and onion. Healthy, quick and tasty breakfast or lunch or dinner for working mothers as well.
- I am using this steel cut oats
- Wash and pressure cook the dal with 1.5 cup water along with 1/2 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder on medium high heat.
- Dry roast the oats on medium heat for a minute and transfer it to a plate
- Keep the pan back on the stove and add oil. To the hot oil add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera, fry it for a few seconds. Then add green chillies, once it turns white add pepper powder, curry leaves, chopped onion and a little salt. Keep stirring while adding the ingredients
- Fry it for 1/2 minute, add vegetables, stir it, cover it and cook this for a minute
- Now add roasted oats
- Add remaining water, and salt, mix it well cover it and let the vegetables and oats cook
- After 5 minutes, to this cooked oats and vegetables add cooked dal, mix it well
- and coconut, reduce the heat and cook it uncovered for a minute or 2
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat