Shankar PoLi / shakkar para is a easy effortless snack which can be prepared both as sweet and spicy. Very popular in karnataka, his snack is prepared for festivals, travel, and as a evening snack with tea/coffee.
- ½ cup maida/all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon om /ajwain seeds
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper / red chilli powder
- 1 TBSP oil
- 3 tablespoon water
- oil to fry
- Mix maida, salt, ajwain, pepper powder in a bowl.
- Heat tablespoon of oil and add it to the mix and mix it really well.
- To this add water little by little and make a hard dough. and keep it aside.
To make the Shankar poli:
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying on a medium heat.
- Divide the prepared dough into 2 parts. Take one part and roll it like a small roti.
- Now roll it like a Roti/chapati (⅕ of a cm thick) .
- Cut into small diamond shapes.
- Fry this in the hot oil until it turns golden brown on both sides.( to check the oil is ready, add little dough to the oil, it has to come up immediately and make sure to flip the shankar polis to fry evenly) .
- Once it is done, remove from the oil and put it on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
Enjoy this as a evening snack.