Black Eyed Beans Vada is deep fried south Indian snack.v
snack cowpeas or black eyed peas are protein rich, fiber rich beans .
Here is the simple yet delicious bonda or vada recipe which is gluten free, vegan and no onion no garlic snack.
Enjoy the hot vadas with coconut chutney
- 1 cup black eyed beans /cowpeas
- 2¼ cup water or enough water to soak the beans
- 2 tbsp coconut pieces
- around 4 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- around 20 tsp peppercorns coarsely crushed or 1pepper powder
- Finely chopped curry leaves
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Wash and soak the beans in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight
- Drain the water from the soaked beans and grind it to a fine paste by adding little by little water
- Transfer it to a bowl , consistency should be more like urad dal vada batter
- To this add salt, pepper powder, curry leaves, ginger,coriander leaves,coconut pieces and ajawin, Mix it well
- Final Consistency should be like this
- Heat enough oil to fry the vadas in a pan on medium low heat.
- Take a tbsp or 1.5 tbsp batter and gently drop into the hot oil one by one,
- fry it until it becomes golden brown on all sides by flipping and stirring,
- When the vadas turn golden brown on all sides, remove it from the oil and transferon a paper towel or colander
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter
- Eat hot vadas with chutney or as it is.