Chayote kootu or chow chow kootu / Seeme Badane kayi kootu is one of the Iyengar’s recipe. I got this kootu recipe from my friend. It is more like our huLi or sambar but they call it Kootu.
Seeme Badane kayi or chow chow / chayote squash / Cho-Cho is a low calorie food and high in vitamin C. It is rich in flavonoid antioxidants which help to protect the body against inflammation caused by free radicals. It is good to incorporate different vegetables everyday in your diet.
Here is simple seeme badane kayi kootu recipe.
You should try this delicious Chow chow chutney, Palya and seemebadanekai Sambar as well.
- wash the dals and peanuts together in a pressure cooker. to the washed dals add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder and little oil, and turn on the heat on medium flame.
- wash and cut the seemebadane kai as shown, If it is tender no need to peel off the skin
- Pressure cook this cut chayote squash with dals on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 1 to 2 whistles.
- heat a tsp oil in a seasoning pan on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add chana dal, pepper, and coriander seeds, after few seconds add red chillies
- fry it until the dals turn golden brown. Then turn off the heat
- Grind the masala along with coconut, and little water to a coarse consistency
- once the cooker is cooled completely, add salt, masala paste, and add some water to this cooked ingredients. mix it well.
- add tamarind extract, and jaggery as well.
- mix it well and let it boil on medium or medium low heat for 10 to 12 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it sputters add curry leaves and turn off the heat
- add this seasoning to the kootu and it is ready to serve with rice.