This salad or kosambari is traditionally prepared on the festivals days in Karnataka.ALong with the festival being, it is a healthy salad which is high in protein and fiber, can be included in the everyday meal.
- ½ cup Channa dal (Soaked for 2 hrs and drained)
- 1 cup cucumber
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh shredded coconut (more if you like )
- For seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a ladle, and wait for the oil to reach the right temperature. To check this, add a small amount of mustard, and it should start cracking/popping.
- If it is at the right temperature, add the mustard seeds, asafetida, cilantro, and chilis. Let everything sit in the oil and stop crackling heavily.
- Add this seasoning to the soaked channa dal, and add the rest of the ingredients as well — the cucumber, coconut, and salt.
- Mix this evenly, and enjoy!