Bitter Gourd pickle | Hagala kayi uppinakayi | karela Pickle | Hagalkai Pickle |
This is a healthy, diabetes friendly, bitter gourd /hagalkayi pickle. Made with bitter gourd, green chilies, lemon juice and spices.
Meals without pickle/uppinakayi is something I cannot imagine. Mosaranna/curd rice with uppinakayi is just out of this world!
Nowadays we have so many options, buying from stores, buying from someone who makes at home. But nothing can beat the homemade pickle. We have varieties of pickle including lemon pickle, heralekai pickle, carrot pickle, and more….
Here is a simple yet delicious pickle recipe using bitter gourd.
Check out these pickles recipes as well
And for more pickle recipes CLICK HERE
- 2 bitter gourd /karela
- around 40 green chilies quantity depends on the variety and hotness of the chilies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder / cumin seeds powder not roasted
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp dry roasted methi seeds / fenugreek seeds powder first dry roast the methi seeds and then powder it
- 2.5 tbsp salt
- around 8 medium sized lemon
- or around 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Wash and dry bitter gourd thoroughly before making the pickle
- Wash ,dry and squeeze the lemon juice to a bowl
- Cut the bitter gourd as shown.if the bitter gourd is tender then no need to Discard the seeds else scoop it and discard
- Cut the green chilies as shown in the video
- transfer the cut bitter gourd and chilies to a ceramic or glass container,
- To this add salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. mix it with a dry spoon. COver it and keep it aside
- Next day, add pepper powder, jeera powder and roasted methi powder. Mix it with a dry spoon. Let it sit for 3 to 4 days.
- After 3 to 5 days : - Pickle will be ready to use
- If you are adding seasoning take a required quantity to a small bowl, prepare the seasoning
If you add seasoning to all the pickle it may get rancid So add seasoning to small quantity of pickle To store this or any pickle for long, the quantity of salt should be little more . Store this or any pickle in a glass or ceramic container.