Dry Jamun or Kala Jamun recipe with detailed video instructions.
This Dry jamun is another mouthwatering recipe I learned from my friend Vidya. Dry jamun is as the name says jamun served without the sugar syrup. It is as tasty as traditional Jamuns with an additional awesome flavor from the Coconut.
First time I had this dry Jamun along with Bonda soup at my friends place. It was a rainy winter evening when we visited my friend Vidya’s house Hot bonda soup and cold dry jamun was waiting for us :) Yum… this was the best combination.
Here is the recipe of the dry jamun,
Dry Jamun | Kala Jamun
for the dough:
- 1 cup Khova or 100 grams of khova / Khoya / Khoa / Mawa
- 200 grams of jamun Mix
- around 1/2 cup water depends on the khova
- oil to fry jamuns
For sugar Syrup:
- 2¼ cup sugar
- 3¼ cup water
- 4 to 5 cardamoms deseed and powder it OR
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
To roll the Jamuns:
- 1 to 2 cup Coconut powder or you can make your own by peeling the skin of dried coconut and then grate it and pulse it in a mixer to a coarse consistency.
- Take water and sugar in a pan, once the sugar is melted and starts to boil, increase the heat to high and let it boil for 8 to 10 minutes and then add cardamom powder and turn off the heat.
making the dough:
- Either grate the khova or powder it in a mixer, mash it well and add the jamun mix, again combine it well.
- Add water little by little, mix it to make a relatively firm, soft dough.
Frying the Jamuns and Making the dry Jamuns: :
- Keep the oil in a pan on medium heat to fry the jamun
- Take a tbsp or so jamun mix and make the balls , keep it ready
- Once the oil is hot ( check by adding little jamun dough, it has to come up immediately) add the prepared jamun balls one by one.
- Stir in between to make sure it turns brown all sides evenly
- Once the jamuns turns dark brown color remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure to fry the remaining jamuns.
- Put these fried jamuns to warm sugar syrup. Let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, take this soaked jamun, gently squeeze the syrup
- and then roll it in the coconut powder,
- For best taste refrigerate for an hour or more and serve.