Basundi is rich and creamy , delicious milk based sweet. Though the traditional way of preparing basundi is time consuming, it is worth every minute:) Basundi is prepared by boiling and reducing the milk to ½ the original quantity, and some sugar, saffron and nuts. You can serve basundi warm or chilled with nuts and dried fruits .
This milk dessert is served with poori as well.
Other sweet recipes CLICK HERE
Poori Recipe :Poori Recipe
Basundi recipe with video and step by step pictures.
- 4 cups or 1 liter of full fat milk / whole milk cow's milk
- 3 tbsp sugar or more
- 10 to 15 strands of saffron soaked in milk
- 2 cardamoms powdered
- 10 to 12 raw pista crushed
- 7 to 8 almonds crushed
- 5 to 6 cashews crushed
- boil the milk in big thick bottom pan on medium high heat . keep stirring
- once the milk forms the cream on top, keep mixing scraping the sides as well
- After 20 minutes on medium high heat, quantity of milk is reduced by 1/4 th, now add crushed cashews, little pista, and little almond pieces,
- Add sugar
- Add soaked saffron milk Mix it well. Let it boil until the quantity reduced to half the original quantity (4 cups to 2 cups)
- Once it is reduced to ½ and the consistency should be as shown. It takes around 45 minutes on medium high heat.
- now turn off the heat and add cardamom powder. Mix it
- You can serve Basundi wither chilled or warm. Both tastes amazing.
- Before serving add remaining pista pieces and almond pieces on top and serve.
- If you want more sweetness add more sugar even after it is done and boil it for a minute
- try this Basundi with Poori