Healthy and tasty dill leaves chutney or in kannada it is sabbassige soppu / sabsige soppu chutney for rice, idli, dosa. With simple ingredients like dals/ lentils, coconut and this dill leaves we can make delicious side dish. In this recipe use of onion and garlic is optional.
Few of the benefits of dill leaves are:
Dill leaves are healthy greens which are
– anti inflammatory,
-helps to boost the digestion
-helps in reducing insomnia
-menstrual and respiratory discomforts
For joint pain eat a handful of raw dill leaves any time of the day.
Try this tasty chutney for dosa, rotti or goes well with rice as well.
Dill Leaves Chutney
- 1 leaves bunch dill
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 3 tbsp split black gram/ Urad dal uddina bele
- or chana dal or toor dal kadale bele, togari bele
- 1/2 of small onion- chopped
- little tamarind soaked on water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Jaggery
- 4 byadagi red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp for frying the dill leaves and dal
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Separate the leaves from the stem( if it is render you can use the stem as well. then wash it and keep it ready
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan on medium low/low heat, once hot add urad dal and fry it until the dal turns light golden brown.
- Once the dals turns golden brown, add chillies, fry it for few seconds, add cut onions,
- if you like to add garlic adda clove of garlic,
- Once the onions are slightly done add chopped dill leaves and stir it for a minute
- After a minute, turn off the heat
- and add coconut, salt, mix it and let it cool before we grind
- Grind this cooled mixture along with tamarind, jaggery and little water to a fine consistency
- If this chutney is for rice make it little thick consistency, for idli, dosa... add a little more water. Transfer the chutney to a bowl
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium low heat, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it sputters add red chilli pieces(optional) turn off the heat and add curry leaves Add the seasoning ot the chutney.
- Chutney is ready to serve with rice, idli, dosa, rotti, rotis....