Doddapatre (cuban oregano, Spanish thyme, Orégano Brujo (Puerto Rico), Indian Borage) is a very useful medicinal plant. These leaves are used for treating cough, cold, sore throat, and nasal conjestion. It is also very useful in balancing the pitta vikruti (imbalance) in our body.
- 20 fresh doddapatre leaves
- 1 cup homemade yogurt
- 2 tablespoon fresh coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oil/ghee
- ½ tablespoon jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the pan on a medium high heat. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Chop the leaves.
- Add cumin seeds and pepper. After few seconds, add the chopped leaves.
- Fry it for 1½ to 2 minutes. Then turn the heat off and let it cool.
- Grind these fried leaves along with coconut and salt into a fine paste.
- Since the quantity for grinding will be very less, add 2 tablespoons of yogurt and grind. Add this paste to yogurt and mix well.
- Now our thambuli is ready to eat. You can eat this with rice, as raita or just like that.