When it comes to churumuri, there is one particular vendor I think of, back when I was brought up in Mysore. There was a small shop popularly called Bhattara Angadi(shop) in Saraswathipuram 1st main road. Every evening, there used to be a big crowd that gathered in front of his small shop to savor the churumuri. In fact, people used to come from far away places just to eat his churumuri.
I remember, one rupee would get enough enough churumuri for 4 to 5 people.. 25 paise/1 pack! Hm… it was just mouthwatering. It had a very unique taste that was very different compared to the other street vendors! Here I am trying to replicate that taste and satisfy my taste buds with the imagination of the churumuri I used to eat!
- 2 cups puffed rice/mandakki puri Mamra/mumra
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- 1 to 1½ TBSP chopped coriander leaves
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 to 3 TBSP finely chopped onion
- tsp ¼ to ½red chilli powder
- 1 to 2 TBSP congress Kadlekai Masala peanuts
- Little lemon/lime juice
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- Check the puri for its crispiness, if it is not crisp just warm it.
- Mix grated carrots, onions and chopped coriander and keep it ready
- In a big mixing bowl add puri, handful of the above mix, 3 tsp oil, red chilli powder, along with 2 pinches of salt. Mix it well
- Add congress kadlekai, and squeeze some lemon juice mix it again.
- Here we have bhattara angadi churumuri!
Coconut oil is recommended here to get the authentic taste.
Mix 2 to 3 cups of puri at once to retain the crispiness of puri
For Masala peanuts recipe click HERE: