Super tasty, easy to make delicious, and healthy vegan and gluten free masoor lentils will be very good with hot rice, millets , quinoa, and also rotis and rotti as well.
With the aroma of coriander leaves masala the dal is heavenly. You can use it as a side dish, or drink it as soup.
The advantage of this whole masoor is there is no need to pre soak, and cooks fast as well
Hope you will give it a try and share your thoughts with us.
Kitchen tools we use in our kitchen – https://amzn.to/3iz1Lma
whole Green Masoor dal
- 1 cup whole masoor dal / green lentils
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- pinch of hing/asafetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jeera cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- juice of lime/lemon
- 4 cup water more or less
- Handful of coriander leaves
- around 8 green chilies more or less
- 6 cloves of garlic
- piece smallof fresh ginger
- Wash and cook the masoor whole with 2 cups of water. Turn off the heat after 2 to 3 whistles.
- Grind coriander leaves, green chilies.ginger and garlic without adding water. Then add little water and grind it to a fine paste
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera. turmeric powder and curry leaves
- add the ground masala, fry it until the raw smell disappears
- Once the oil leaves the masala
- Now add cooked masoor lentils
- put some water to mixer jar to rinse the masale and add that as well.
- add extra water if needed to get the right consistency, and salt, mix it well. Let it boil on medium heat for around 5 minutes I have used around 4 cups altogether(including water used for cooking the dal)
- Turn off the heat and add lemon/lime juice.
- Mix it and serve with rotis, rice , millet rice and quinoa