Yereyappa or fried appam is a very traditional sweet which is prepared for Saraswathi Pooja, during the Navaratri festival.
Detailed video instructions for making Yereyappa
- ½ cup rice
- 2 TBSP Thick Avalakki / Poha
- ¼ cup fresh / frozen coconut
- 4 cardamom
- 3 to 4 TBSP Jaggery powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
- oil to fry. around 1½ cup
- Wash and soak the rice and avalakki (poha) in 1½ cup water, for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind all the ingredients in a mixer to a fine paste. Add water to get the required consistency. It should be similar to an idli batter (thick and runny).
- Now heat the oil in a pan.
- Once it is hot enough, add spoonful of batter to it. (Put 3 to 4 spoons at once)
- Fry until it turns golden brown, and remove it. Place it onto a paper towel, in order to drain any extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining batter.
Variation: While grinding add a small banana, It gives a different taste to Yereyappa.