Sweet Kozhukattai recipes | Kadubu recipe | Sweet kadubu | carrot jaggery filling kadubu | Avi kadubu
This steamed kadubu or avi kadubu is as the name says it is steamed sweet with outer shell made of rice and filling is sweet, we can make it with dals, traditional coconut and jaggery and with sesame seeds as well. Here in this recipe I have used grated carrot, coconut and jaggery as filling. Try this sweet and share your comments :)
Sweet Kozhukattai | sweet Kadubu with carrot filling
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup of rice wash and soak in 1cup of water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium size carrots( wash peel the skin and grate)
- cups Or Around 2of grated carrots
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup jaggery
- 3 tbsp to 4water
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut or frozen coconut
- around 8 almonds and cashews (crushed) and some raisins
- 3 to 4 cardamoms powder it
- or 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Tortilla / roti press or parchment paper / plastic sheets
To prepare the hurNa / filling:
- Take the jaggery in a pan along with the water and melt this on medium heat, once melted completely, strain the syrup to a cup
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee or oil in a thick bottom pan, add grated carrot, stir it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium/medium low heat
- Now add jaggery syrup, coconut, crushed nuts and raisins.. stir it until the mixture thickens.
- You can add gasagase as well.
- Once the mix becomes thick and for exact consistency please watch the video ( it may take around 4 minutes on medium heat)
- Turn off the heat, add cardamom powder, mix it well, Let it cool
For making the Dough:
- Transfer some water from soaked rice to a cup, grind it to a fine paste,
- Transfer this to a thick bottom kadai, add oil, and salt, add the water, (consistency of the batter at this point should be like neer dosa batter. Add enough water to get the right consistency
- Keep this on medium heat. keep stirring until this thin batter becomes a ball / lump . Then turn off the heat. It may take around 5 to 6 minutes. Cover it and let it cool.
- Take the warm dough on greased plate, and knead it to a soft, smooth dough
To make the kadubu /kozhukattai
- Grease the parchment paper or banana leaves and grease the plate in which we steam cook the kadubu
- Take a small amount of the dough(around a golf ball size) , make a ball, flatten it and keep in the center of the press, cover it with another parchment paper and press.
- Place 1 to 2 tbsp of the filling in the center,
- fold the paper and seal it as shown
- Arrange the prepared kadubu on the greased plate
- If you don't have this press, you can make like this either by patting or you can use a rolling pin
To Steam the kadubu:
- Keep the steamer / pressure cooker with enough water in it on medium high heat
- . Then turn off the heat. and Serve hot or warm kadubu.
- Place the prepared kadubu in a steamer, cover it and steam cook this for 7 to 8 minutes Repeat the same procedure with remaining dough and filling