Ragi halbai recipe |FInger millet halbai recipe |Vegan Gluten free sweet recipe
Ragi halbai |finger millet sweet recipe
Please watch the video for the detailed recipe for making ragi halbai
- 1/2 cup raagi / finger millet
- ½ cup fresh coconut
- 2 to 2¼ cups of water
- ¾ cup Jaggery
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 3 to 4 cardamoms
- Wash the finger millet 2 to 3 times and soak the raagi in 3/4 cup of water for 4 to 6 hours or overnight
- grind soaked ragi, coconut and cardamom with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of (if you are using frozen coconut use warm water to grind)
- extract the milk (strain the milk) to the thick bottom pan.
- Repeat the same procedure 2 to 3 times- add water grind and extract the milk , at the end discard the pulp.
- Grease the plate with oil / ghee keep it ready
- Strain the melted jaggery to the ragi milk, mix it and keep this on medium low flame,
- keep stirring the mix.
- keep stirring ( you can increase the flame to medium high or you can use medium low flame- adjust according to your comfort )
- after 2 minutes- as the mixture thickens add a tsp of coconut oil or ghee, mix it and keep stirring until the water evaporates
- After 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame - add another 2 tsp oil or ghee mix it, ans stir .
- after 25 to 28 minutes- water is evaporated and the halbai is done. (Please watch the video )
- Turn off the heat and transfer the halbai to the greased plate and spread it using a spoon. Allow it to cool completely .
- Grease the knife and cut the halbai into desired shape and serve