Pumpkin kheer is simple to make and flavorful kheer or payasa using the healthiest vegetable Sweet Pumpkin. This is one of the traditional navarathri recipe.
To name a few amazing benefits of super vegetable winter squash Sihi kumbalakayi or cheenikai, it is low calorie, high fiber, loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Also a good source of B Complex, copper, potassium and copper as well.
Try these pumpkin recipes such as Pumpkin idli, pumpkin sambar, and pumpkin Indian pie as well.
- wash and peel the skin of the sweet pumpkin and cut into small pieces as shown
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat. Once hot add almond pieces, after few seconds add cashew pieces fry until it changes its color, add raisins , fry it until it puffs up, then transfer it onto a plate
- keep the pan back on the stove, add the cut pumpkin pieces, fry it for 2 minutes, then cover it and let it cook. Make sure to stir it in between. NOTE: if you are not using heavy bottom pan then add little water to cook the pumpkin.
- Grind grated coconut along with cardamom and little water to a fine paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked pumpkin, add jaggery, and some water to to get the right consistency
- Let it boil for 4 to 5 minutes. after 4 to 5 minutes.... turn off the heat. Let it cool before you add milk
- add fried nuts and raisins, mix it well
- Finally when it is cooles add milk. more or less milk depends on how you like the payasa to be.
If you want to drink the payasa add more milk or 1/2 cup is enough.