Pumpkin kheer is simple to make and flavorful kheer or payasa using the healthiest vegetable Sweet Pumpkin. This is one of the traditional navarathri recipe.
To name a few amazing benefits of super vegetable winter squash Sihi kumbalakayi or cheenikai, it is low calorie, high fiber, loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Also a good source of B Complex, copper, potassium and copper as well.
Try these pumpkin recipes such as Pumpkin idli, pumpkin sambar, and pumpkin Indian pie as well.
Pumpkin Kheer | Payasa recipes
- 2 cup cut sihi kumbalakai/ sweet pumpkin pieces
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- around 8 almonds( broken into small pieces
- around 8 cashews ( broken into small pieces
- around 1 tbsp raisins
- 2 cardamom
- 1/4 cup or more jaggery
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup milk more or less
- wash and peel the skin of the sweet pumpkin and cut into small pieces as shown
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat. Once hot add almond pieces, after few seconds add cashew pieces fry until it changes its color, add raisins , fry it until it puffs up, then transfer it onto a plate
- keep the pan back on the stove, add the cut pumpkin pieces, fry it for 2 minutes, then cover it and let it cook. Make sure to stir it in between. NOTE: if you are not using heavy bottom pan then add little water to cook the pumpkin.
- Grind grated coconut along with cardamom and little water to a fine paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked pumpkin, add jaggery, and some water to to get the right consistency
- Let it boil for 4 to 5 minutes. after 4 to 5 minutes.... turn off the heat. Let it cool before you add milk
- add fried nuts and raisins, mix it well
- Finally when it is cooles add milk. more or less milk depends on how you like the payasa to be.