Poha sweet Pongal | Avalakki sweet pongal
Poha sweet pongal is very easy and super delicious sweet. Khara Pongal and this sweet pongal sweet is a perfect combination for breakfast or even for unexpected guests.
Poha sweet pongal is gluten free sweet, you can make it vegan by replacing ghee with coconut oil,
Poha sweet Pongal
Detailed video recipe and step by step instructions with pictures for making Poha sweet pongal
- 1 cup Thick Poha / thick flattened rice
- 1/4 cup split green gram/ moong dal
- 2 to 4 tbsp ghee (or coconut oil) for vegan option
- around 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut / kobbari
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp raisins and 7 to 8 cashews broken into pieces
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cups of water
- Wash and cook the moong dal on medium heat with 1 cup of water. stir in between. while cooking the dal, make sure there is enough water , if it is dry add more water. and cook
- melt the jaggery adding 1/2 cup of water, then turn off the heat
- Wash the avalakki / aval / poha
- Once the dal is cooked well, add washed avalakki, mix it well.
- To this strain the melted jaggery , mix it. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes. once it starts t boil add 1 tbsp ghee.
- After 5 to 6 minutes on low heat, if you like add more ghee, mix it well.
- Add grated dry coconut, mix it. When the pongal becomes thick, then consistency of the pongal is perfect,
- turn off the heat and add cardamom powder. mix it.
- Heat a tbsp ghee in a ladle on medium low heat. Once hot add cashew pieces, add raisins when the cashews slightly changes its color. Turn off the heat after the raisins puffs up.
- add it to the Pongal and mix it.
- Easy and delicious Poha / Aval pongal is ready to serve.
- The color of the pongal depends on the color of the jaggery.
- After the pongal is cooled completely it may becomes dry, in that case sprinkle enough water and heat the pongal once again.