Poha sweet pongal is very easy and super delicious sweet. Khara Pongal and this sweet pongal sweet is a perfect combination for breakfast or even for unexpected guests.
Poha sweet pongal is gluten free sweet, you can make it vegan by replacing ghee with coconut oil,
Poha sweet Pongal
- 1 cup Thick Poha / thick flattened rice
- 1/4 cup split green gram/ moong dal
- 2 to 4 tbsp ghee (or coconut oil) for vegan option
- around 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut / kobbari
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp raisins and 7 to 8 cashews broken into pieces
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cups of water
- Wash and cook the moong dal on medium heat with 1 cup of water. stir in between. while cooking the dal, make sure there is enough water , if it is dry add more water. and cook
- melt the jaggery adding 1/2 cup of water, then turn off the heat
- Wash the avalakki / aval / poha
- Once the dal is cooked well, add washed avalakki, mix it well.
- To this strain the melted jaggery , mix it. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes. once it starts t boil add 1 tbsp ghee.
- After 5 to 6 minutes on low heat, if you like add more ghee, mix it well.
- Add grated dry coconut, mix it. When the pongal becomes thick, then consistency of the pongal is perfect,
- turn off the heat and add cardamom powder. mix it.
- Heat a tbsp ghee in a ladle on medium low heat. Once hot add cashew pieces, add raisins when the cashews slightly changes its color. Turn off the heat after the raisins puffs up.
- add it to the Pongal and mix it.
- Easy and delicious Poha / Aval pongal is ready to serve.
- The color of the pongal depends on the color of the jaggery.
- After the pongal is cooled completely it may becomes dry, in that case sprinkle enough water and heat the pongal once again.