Khara bhath is a variation of Upma/ uppittu. We use vangibath powder and vegetables of your choice to make it more flavorful and healthy breakfast. Here in this recipe I have used brinjal/eggplant as a vegetable.
Vangi bhath powder recipe – CLICK HERE
- 1 cup local rave/coarse sooji dry roast the rava and keep it ready
- 3 green badanekayi / eggplant/ brinjal
- 6 small or 2 big tomatoes finely chop and keep it ready
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2.5 cups water
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp split black gram/ Urad dal
- ½ tsp split bengal gram / Chana dal
- 2 tsp Vangibath powder
- ¾ tbsp salt/salt to taste
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- chopped coriander leaves
- Few curry leaves
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup grated coconut
- Heat 2 tbsp oil on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add dals,
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add chopped green chillies, curry leaves, fry it for few seconds and then add the dry roasted rava.
- keep the pan back on the stove, add 2 tbsp of oil, once hot add cut brinjals/badanekayi, mix it and cover it , cook it for 4 to 5 minutes. STir in between
- Boil the water
- Now to the cooked brinjal add boiling water, salt, vangibath powder. Mix it
- when it starts to boil, add the rave mix. Stir it ,Then add chopped tomatoes. COver it and cook it for 2 minutes , then add ghee.
- mix it and reduce the heat to low. Cover it and cook it on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- after 5 minutes, the khara bath will be ready, finally add coconut, chopped coriander, and squeeze the lemon juice, mix it . Turn off the heat,
- Hot rava bath is ready to serve, serve it with kesari bath( chow chow bath)