Magnesium is a mineral that contributes for many vital body functions. Here are the major ones:
- Regulating biochemical reactions that includes muscle/nerve function, blood sugar regulation, blood pressure control and protein synthesis.
- Magnesium also plays a key role in the transport of calcium and potassium ions across cell membranes. This process of transporting calcium and potassium is very vital in heart rhythm, nerve impulse conduction and muscle contractions.
- Magnesium contributes in structural development of bones.
There is lot of research that is being conducted of Magnesium role in regulating blood sugar/glucose levels and blood pressure.
Deficiency or lack of Magnesium can have these common symptoms:
- Muscle weakness
- Twitching of muscles
- Poor memory
- Slow learning or ability to learn
- Rapid heartbeat
- Weakness in bones
- Reduced Urinary excretion
- Osteoporosis and reduced bone density
Here are is a list of dietary sources that are Magnesium-rich
- Fruits – Bananas, Avocados, Raisins
- Nuts – Almonds, Cashews, Peanuts
- Legumes – Kidney beans, Black beans
- Spinach and Potato baked with skin
- Edamame and Tofu
- Whole grains especially, brown rice and finger millet (Raagi)
Magnesium-rich Vegetarian recipes :
[catlist tags=”tag-magnesium” numberposts=25 excerpt=no]