Butternut squash stir fry recipe | Butternut squash dry curry recipe | Vegan and gluten free side dish | palya recipes | No onion No garlic recipe
Easy to make butternut squash palya goes well as a side dish for rasam rice, or with rotti, chapathi as well.
Butternut squash is a type of winter squash with orange skin and a bright orange interior.
The taste of butternut squash is fairly mild, and a little bit nutty
Butternut squash is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, fiber….
Other palya/curry recipes HERE
Kitchen tools we use in our kitchen – https://amzn.to/3iz1Lma
PLease watch the above video for detailed video instructions.
- 1 small Butternut squash
- Or around 3 cups of cut squash
- 1 or 2 spoons of water
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- leaves Generous amount of Finely chopped coriander
- For seasoning:
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1.5 tsp urad dal
- 2 to 4 finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
Butternut squash stir fry
- Wash, peel the skin, scoop the seeds out
- and cut as shown here
- You can use mandolin slicer as well to cut the squash
For making playa:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add Dals . Fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Add chopped green chilies, fry it for a few seconds, then add curry leaves, chopped squash, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix it well, sprinkle 1 or 2 spoons of water,
- mix it and cover it. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat
- After 3 to 4 minutes, check the palya.
- Check whether the squash is cooked, if not cover it and cook. sprinkle more water if needed.
- Once the squash is well cooked, coconut, mix it well and turn off the heat
- add chopped coriander leaves and mix it well and turn off the heat
- Palya is ready to serve.