Cilantro Thokku or Coriander leaves thokku is easiest and fingerlicking side dish. This is gluten free, vegan and no onion no garlic side dish.
Make this thokku and store it in refrigerator and use when needed. Great with rice, and for travel as well.
Cilantro Thokku Recipe
- 2 big bunch of coriander leaves wash and keep it ready. use the stem if it is tender
- in big lemon size tamarind you can soak water
- ¼ tsp hing / asafetida for gluten free option use GLUTEN FREE Asafetida/ hing
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- 1 to 2 tsp Jaggery optional
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 to 12 gram tsp split black/ urad dal
- 8 red chillies more or less
- Wash the coriander leaves and cut the washed coriander leaves,
- Heat little oil in pan on medium low heat and fry urad dal/uddina bele and red chillies until the dal turns golden brown. turn off the heat and transfer it to the mixer jar
- powder the dal and red chilli
- and then add cut coriander leaves along with salt, tamarind, jaggery, and enough water to make it a fine paste
To make the thokku:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, once hot add hing, add mustard seeds, once it pops add the kottambari paste.
- Fry it until all the water evaporates and oil leaves the mix. keep it on medium high heat, stir it continuously.
- Once the water evaporated, oil leaves the mix. Turn off the heat and once it is cooled completely store it in a glass bottle.
- You can eat this with rice and coconut oil or ghee, best for travel as well.