Simple bitter gourd chutney goes well with chapathi, rotti, rice … Bitter Gourd aka Karela, hagalakayi .. is as the name says it is bitter in taste but has enormous health benefits. Many people like the bitterness of this hagalkaayi but some of us needs some sweetness in the dishes. So we prepare this karela with right amount of sweet and sour ingredients to make it more appetizing to consume this hagalkaayi.
This is gluten free, vegan side dish.
- 1 bitter gourd (Wash and cut the bitter gourd into small pieces discard the seeds
- cup that is around ¾cut bitter gourd)
- 1 gram tsp split black/ urad dal
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp oil for frying the bitter gourd and
- 2 tsp oil for seasoning
- ½ tbsp salt or salt to taste
- in key lime size tamarind soakedwater
- around 2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 gram tsp urad dal/ blacksplit
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 cup water (quantity depends on the consistency of the chutney
- Heat the oil in pan, once hot add urad dal, fry it until the dal turns golden brown, then add coriander seeds, immediately transfer this to the mixer jar or onto a plate
- Now keep the pan back on stove, to the same oil add cut bitter gourd, fry it until it becomes crisp and golden brown. Fry this on medium low heat
- Once it cools down, grind this along with coconut, jaggery, chilli powder, fried coriander and urad dal along with tamarind and little water to a relatively coarse consistency,
- This should be the consistency of the chutney. transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Now for the seasoning heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal, fry it until the dal turns golden brown, finally add red chillies , turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the chutney.
- Eat this chutney with rotti, rice, dosa, chapathi...