Breakfast is the very important meal of the day. Something easy, something tasty and healthy is always we look for while deciding the morning breakfast. One of them is this Shavige uppittu or semiya upma. You can add any vegetables make it more colorful and healthy or just make it plain and simple. I used MTR brand Vermicelli here. There are many different brands available in the store. Any brand is good for this Upma recipe. Dry roast the whole packet and store it in a airtight container and use it when needed.
This Vermicelli vegetable bath can be served as breakfast or evening snack along with hot cup of coffee.
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
- ½ to ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- Pinch of hing/asafoetida
- 3 to 4 green chillies chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion or 1 medium size onion – chopped
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- ¼ cup carrots ( small one cubed)
- ¼ cup cut red bell pepper / capsicum
- ¼ cup green bell pepper / capsicum
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 15 to 20 curry leaves
- Dry roast the shavige until the raw smell disappears or turns light brown color.
- Keep the water to boil.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pops add chana dal and urad dal. Fry it until the dals turn golden brown. Then add the green chillies. Fry it until it turns little white. Now add the chopped onion, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Mix well. Sprinkle some salt and add carrots , capsicum, peas, and fry it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now add the boiling water. Add coconut,(if you are using the frozen coconut) and salt.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, reduce the heat and slowly add the roasted shavige mixing it along. Cover it and let it cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn off the heat.
- Add grated fresh coconut, mix it and garnish with cilantro.
- Shavige Upama is ready to eat.