Plate idli / Thatte idli/ tatte idli is very popular karnataka special breakfast recipe. Bidadi – small town near bangalore, and Tumkur is famous for this thatte idli. Thatte is kannada word for plate, idli is shaped as thatte /plate which gave this breakfast the name – Thatte Idli. Tatte idli is made popular by Upahara Darshinis . tatte idlis are served with chutney, and sambar.
Idli is vegan and gluten free breakfast.
Sambar recipe 👉 CLICK HERE
Idli Chutney recipe👉 CLICK HERE
- Wash and soak the urad dal in 3 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Wash and soak the idli rava with 2 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Transfer a cup of water from soaked urad dal to a cup and then grind the urad dal to a fine consistency, add water if needed (Left with 1/2 cup of water.)
- Transfer this urad dal batter to a big bowl/container
- Now transfer the water from soaked idli rava, squeeze excess water, add the rava to the urad dal batter
- Add a tsp of salt and mix it really well. Cover it and keep it aside to ferment overnight .
- Next day add remaining salt to the fermented batter, mix it well.Idli batter is ready.
- Grease the plates with oil.
- Mix the idli batter once again
- Pour the idli batter to the greased plates (around 1/2 the plate)
- keep the plates in the plate idli stand, lock it
- Steam cook the idli in a pressure cooker without keeping the weight on medium high heat for 20 - 25 minutes . then turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before you take the idlis from the plate
- repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter or you can refrigerate the batter and use it another day( make sure to bring it to the room temperature)