Khara kadubu/ or spicy kolukattai is a healthy, protein rich breakfast of south india. Easy to make and very tasty. This is usually prepared on Nagara panchami festival and Ganesh chaturthi. This spicy avi kadubu is healthy and delicious.
You can use either mixer or food processor to grind the dal.
Try this sweet kolukattai as well.
- First soak the channa dal for 3 to 4 hours or overnight, then wash and drain them
- Then grind the soaked dal along with green chilli, cilantro, hing, and ginger
- Finally, add grated coconut and salt, pulse once or twice to mix everything together
- Place this mixture in a cooker vessel and steam cook it for one or two whistle
- Once the cooker is cool, take this mixture and cool it again until you can handle it easily.
- Break the crumbs with hand and make it more like dry mix.
- Now the filling is ready.
- Boil 1¼ cups of water in a pan. For this add salt and oil.
- Now reduce the heat and add the rice flour and mix it well without any lumps
- Close the lid and leave it for few seconds and switch off the stove -let it cool
- Once it is cooled (make sure you can handle the dough for kneading)
- Take a small amount of dough and knead it
- take a dough and make it into small marble sized balls and roll it to make round shape
- once you rolled the dough cut that into equal sizes using mould then take each piece and fill this dal mixture in that and press the mould
- then repeat the process for all the pieces
- Grease the plates with little oil and place these fillings in each plate
- Pour 2 to 3 cups of water to the cooker and place this stand and steam cook it for 10 to 12 minutes .
- Now the Khara kadubu is ready to eat. Enjoy this with chutney, ghee or as it is.