Horse Gram Benefits
Horse gram, is a type of legume that is widely used in Indian cuisine. Here are some potential health benefits of consuming horse gram:
- Rich in protein: Horse gram is a good source of plant-based protein, which is important for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Lowers cholesterol: Horse gram has been found to lower cholesterol levels in the blood, potentially reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Controls diabetes: Horse gram has a low glycemic index, which means it does not cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. This makes it a good choice for people with diabetes or those at risk of developing the condition.
- Promotes weight loss: Horse gram is low in calories and high in fiber, which can help promote feelings of fullness and reduce overall calorie intake.
- Improves digestion: Horse gram is high in dietary fiber, which can help regulate bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Horse gram has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent chronic diseases.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Horse gram is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, calcium, phosphorus, and molybdenum.
Here are some of the common names for horse gram in Indian languages:
- Hindi: Kulthi or Kulth
- Tamil: Kollu
- Telugu: Ulavalu
- Kannada: Huruli
- Malayalam: Muthira
- Bengali: Kulthi or Kultha
- Marathi: Kulith or Hulthi
- Gujarati: Kulthi
- Punjabi: Kulthi
- Odia: Kolatha
Overall, horse gram is a nutritious and healthy food that can provide a range of health benefits when consumed as part of a balanced diet.