Ambode is a very tasty snack you can enjoy with tea/coffee. This is an Indian version of the popular falafel. It is crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside.
Ingredients for Ambode:
- ¾ cup chana dal (split chickpeas or split polished baby Garbanzo Beans). It is soaked for 2-3 hours and drained
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 10 curry leaves
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1¼ cups oil to fry
- Put all the ingredients, except the oil, into a mixer and coarse grind it (takes only 3-4 pulses).
- Once the mixture is coarse, remove into a bowl and mix it, to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Keep the oil in a pan, on medium heat, to get ready for frying. To check whether the oil is ready, put a small piece of the mixture into the oil, and if it comes up to the top, then the oil is ready.
- Take the mixture and make small balls, and flatten with your hand.
- Place these in the oil, and leave it for around three minutes.
- Flip the ambodes over.
- Once the ambodes reach a golden brown color, remove, and place it on a paper towel to allow the excess oil to soak up.
Ambode can be served plain or with chutney, or even ketchup. Enjoy!