Quinoa is in rich fiber and iron, also it has perfect balance of all nine amino acids which is rarely found in plant based foods. Red lentils are high in iron and protein. Quinoa is very rich in calcium, protein and being a complex carbohydrate makes this food a natural internal cleanser. This makes quinoa part of a good plant based calcium diet for vegans as well as those who are lactose intolerant…. Here is wholesome easy to make Quinoa Kichadi recipe.
Maddur Vada is a very popular snack which is very unique to the state of Karnataka. This has the right amount of crispiness to make this snack an all time favorite. The name comes from the the town Maddur, which is located between the cities of Mysore and Bangalore. Super delicious evening snack with hot cup of coffee or tea/chai.
Dosa / Dose is the popular common breakfast item in typical south Indian Kitchen. It is prepared using many different ways and with different ingredients. Here we have the recipe of one of the varieties of dosas which is neer dosa, using rice. It is typical Malnad and coastal region breakfast. Neer Dosa is basically rice dosa. Since the batter is very thin, like water, it is called Neeru Dosa – neeru meaning water in Kannada. The good thing about this dosa is that there is no need to ferment the batter.
Yereyappa or fried appam is a very traditional sweet which is prepared for Saraswathi Pooja, during the Navaratri festival.
- ½ cup rice
- 2 TBSP Thick Avalakki / Poha
- ¼ cup fresh / frozen coconut
- 4 cardamom
- 3 to 4 TBSP jaggery powder
- 1 to 2 TBSP water
- Oil to fry (around 1½ cup)
Yields 10 yereyappas.
- Wash and soak the rice and avalakki (poha) in 1½ cup water, for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind all the ingredients in a mixer to a fine paste. Add water to get the required consistency. It should be similar to an idli batter (thick and runny).
- Now heat the oil in a pan.
- Once it is hot enough, add spoonful of batter to it. (Put 3 to 4 spoons at once)
- Fry until it turns golden brown, and remove it. Place it onto a paper towel, in order to drain any extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining batter.
Variation: While grinding add a small banana, It gives a different taste to Yereyappa.